Monday, September 8, 2008

Knitting, knitting, knitting...

I have been pretty productive over the last month or so. Among other things, I've been turning out dishcloths and lace bookmarks like nuts. Thanks, Liz, for all those wonderful sock yarn scraps for the bookmarks.

I knit a pair of socks in one week by working them at the same time on two sets of DPNs. It was great. Now I just hope they fit the intended recipient, but that's the risk you take when you make socks for feet you don't have access to.

I started a pair of baby socks for my favorite author's best friend's baby girl. A little weird, I know, but I wanted to test drive this new sock yarn (Ravelry link) I got and get a really accurate gauge and baby socks seemed like a good idea. Plus I have baby fever and I'm hoping to ingratiate myself with this particular author to that perhaps she will send me books early or something. Pathetic, yes. But I've made peace with that. :)

I've been plowing through my kitchen cotton. In fact, even my husband noticed that my giant yarn box (what he calls my stash) was getting lighter. Maybe if I fill it up again with lighter fibers like wool, he won't notice that it took a lot more yarn to do it. LOL

I've put my raglan (Ravelry link) on hold until the drive to West Virginia. I need to swatch it a lot better; there won't be much ease in this thing, so I want to really avoid making it too small. I need to figure out what cable I want to put down the sleeves and swatch that as well. Also, I think I will knit it in the round and steek it for a zipper.

The idea of steeking is daunting, scary, and thrilling. It's a big risk, cutting your knitted fabric. One of the things I like about knitting is that it's very forgiving: if you don't like it or have made a mistake, you can rip it out. We've all done it. I've frogged an entire sweater before. Steeking, on the other hand, is an irreversible committment.

But hey--what is knitting if not an opportunity to constantly challenge myself? I keep telling beginning knitters that knitting is not hard, it's just a bunch of small building blocks. Steeking will be yet another block added to Courtney's House of Knitting Skills. The time has come to leave my comfort zone. I did it with socks. I can do it with steeking.

No comments: