Friday, May 16, 2008

Cute baby sweater!

little ribs 1

Isn't it lovely? In terms of technique, I feel that this is one of my best projects. I established my gauge well and made stitch count alterations accordingly to a pattern I found on Lion Brand called Glamour-Baby's First Cardigan. I chose this pattern because, due to the fact that it is composed of rectangles, it is very easy to alter the gauge.

The original pattern was five rectangles knit separately in garter stitch and sewn together. UGH. Too much seaming, too much garter stitch, too much boring knitting. I changed the construction of the garment to be knit in basically one piece. I used stockinette with ribs on the botton, cuffs, where the shoulder seams would have been, and along the front edges. I picked up three stitches where I wanted the ties and made I-cords. I think the ribbon makes it look cheap girly.

So I guess the only features of the pattern I kept were the overall dimensions, the tacked-down lapel, and the location of the ties. According to my knitting group, I have changed enough to consider it my own pattern and I should publish it. I'll have to go over my notes, but I think that may work. If you arrived at this blog entry from Ravelry or are otherwise knitterly inclined, please let me know in the comments if you'd like me to post my specific modifications and/or write a whole new pattern.

Next up: a matching pair of pants, then matching booties and maybe a matching hat.

No comments: